Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Hi Everyone!

Allow me to introduce myself... My name is Arielle and I am the new intern at Oddies. However, there is a twist. Unlike Sabrina and Dan, I am not from Europe but from America. New York, in fact. And, I am just sixteen years old. Bet you don't know many sixteen year old Americans who intern so far away fro
m home! Although, I do know about 150 others because we are all part of a program called Intern Exchange International. Why don't you check us out at http://www.internexchange.com/.

Almost 3,500 miles away from my home, Oddies has been very welcoming. Kate Bright, Sabrina (who ha
s left us), and Barbara have made it an easy transition for me. However, the rainy weather hasn't eased my forty minute (so long!) commute to and from work. Who ever knew it rained so much in London?!! I have already purchased Wellington boots and am looking for a new raincoat... any suggestions?

Being the youngest one in the office has both its positives and negatives, as you can imagine. But I definitely think the pluses outweigh the minuses. For one, I get to listen to all the "grownup" going-ons and chats around here -- mortgages, life in London, and the like. I also find that my advanced co
mputer skills (it's what happens when you constantly instant message and facebook) are benefiting me with all the emails and databases that I have to compose. Just in my first day of work, I put almost 200 names into Excel... my hands really needed a break after that!

Luckily, lunch breaks suffice (and I get off work by 4... can't complain!). I have accustomed myself to the Clapham Common area and have even found my favourite little French place to get delicious hot chocolate and ice cream. See, I really am adjusting!
Good thing I go to the gym everyday when I get back from work.

I am currently contacting American schools asking if they would like to participate in
Read With Me Week (a huge success in the UK from what I hear). I certainly never knew how many elementary schools
were in New York alone. I will really be sending out lots and lots of e-mails. I am getting tired just thinking about it!!

Well, since I am new to this blogging business, I don't want to bore you. I will make sure to update you with all of my adventures and going abouts while I am here at Oddies. But before I go... I absolutely LOVE Ballet Oddie. And, America would completely fall in love with her. Just think about all the little girls in pink tutus who love to dance (I actually used to be one back in the day... only for a short time though!).



Now, it is time for me to be a true "Londoner" and make myself a cup of tea. My mom isn't going to know what has gotten into me by the time I return home to New York.


Tea, Wellies, and Oddies...



Blog you later,

Arielle

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to see you have adjusted to the London life. Looking forward to reading the series with my nieces. Can we get copies here in New York yet? -Meryl
P.S. Don't forget to stop and eat the Cadbury chocolate too! YUM!

Anonymous said...

LOVE, love, love the blog, Arielle! :) I am glad to hear you're having a good time. What an experience. We are SO proud of you!!

Take care, and have a spot of tea for me. ;)
Love,
Aunt Sherri